How to fit an internal door
Our simple guide below shows you the basics of fitting an internal door. You
will need adequate tools and safety goggles.
- - Remove the old door carefully.
- - Stand new door to check whether it needs trimming – if it does cut to the
- - Put the door in place and ensure a consistent gap of 3mm between the door
- - Once in place, mark the position of the hinges.
- - Lay the door on your workbench and align the hinges and draw around them
on the door.
- - Use a chisel to mark where the hinges will be situated and create a recess
for the hinge.
- - Drill hinges in place.
- - Put the first screws in the lowest hinge plate holes to secure in place
and then top to ensure the door doesn’t catch.
- - Once it feels right, put the remaining screws in place.
How do I care for my internal door?
We recommend the following ways to extend the life of your internal door:
- - Clean or dust occasionally, but ensure any products used do not affect the
- - Reapply treatment when needed (every few years).
- - Check door hardware and treat moving parts such as hinges and handles.
- - Check glazing panels for cracks. If any faults are found, replace, or
What decorating products can I use?
Pre-finished doors are ready to hang.
You can decorate oak doors with stain, varnish, lacquer, or paint. White primed
timber doors can be painted to suit your décor.
How do I fit internal door handles?
Fitting door handles requires tools such as a chisel, rotary tool, screws,
screwdriver, safety goggles, and a drill.
To fit the latch:
- - Measure and mark the centre point on the frame.
- - Drill a hole in the door edge to the chosen depth.
- - Position the latch into the drilled hole and draw around the faceplate.
- - Use the chisel to make cuts around the pencil lines.
- - Chisel in the same direction as the grain and remove the wood.
- - Use the measurements to get the centre point for the door handle and fix
- - Check it works and lines up.
See fitting instructions on your hardware for further details.
How much does an internal door weigh?
The weight of an internal door varies according to the size and core
composition. A solid core door will be heavier, while a hollow core is a
lightweight option. The weight will also determine what hardware is needed to
fix the door to the frame to ensure safe use.
Does changing internal doors add value to my home?
Updating your interiors and decorating can add value to your home.
How do I convert imperial door sizes to metric door sizes?
Our imperial/metric converter below helps you choose the right size internal
door for your home.
// TODO table
How sustainable are the products materials?
Internal Doors UK is committed to making a positive contribution to minimise our
impact on the environment. We strive to uphold the principles of FSC® and are
proud to say many of our internal doors are FSC® certified.
What type of payments do you take?
We accept a wide range of payments, including Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard,
PayPal, and Apple Pay.
How quickly can you deliver?
We strive to deliver orders as quickly as possible. Estimated delivery dates are
available at the time of order. However, this is subject to the availability of
stock. Please see our Delivery page for more information.